• Raina

How to Easily Change Your Name After the Wedding

Just because you have a marriage license with your new last name, doesn't mean you've officially changed your name. (If you thought that was the hard part, wait until you see the lines at the social security office and DMV.) There's a shortcut, though...It you're willing to pay anywhere between $40 to $100, you can make it incredibly easy on yourself and fast-track your paperwork with the incredibly easy Hitchswitch Name Change kit

Rather not shell out the cash? We understand! Here's how to do it the old-school way.

1. Get your marriage license. Before you can change your name, you'll need the original (or certified) marriage license with the raised seal. Call the clerk's office where your license was filed to get copies if one wasn't automatically sent to you.

2. Change your Social Security card. Visit the Social Security Administration's website and fill out the application for a new Social Security card. You'll keep the same number—just your name will be different. Mail in your application to the local Social Security Administration office, or just go through the process while you're there. You should get your new card within 10 business days.

3. Change your license at the DMV. Take a trip to the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to get a new license with your new last name. Bring every form of identification that your local DMV instructs you to—including your current license, your certified marriage certificate and, most importantly, your new Social Security card.

4. Change your bank accounts. This one's a biggie, especially if you're setting up a joint bank account, or if you have one already set up. The fastest way to change your name at your bank is to go into a branch location, bringing your new driver's license, new social security card and your marriage certificate. You should request new checks, debit and credit cards on top of changing the name attached to your accounts. That said, just be aware that some banks might charge a nominal fee when requesting a new debit card.

5. Fill in the blanks Once you have a Social Security card and driver's license in your married name, other changes should be fairly easy. Some places only require a phone call; others may ask for a copy of your marriage certificate or social security card. Be sure to notify:


-Post office (only if your address has changed as well)

-Utility companies

-Credit card companies

-Schools and alumni associations

-Landlord or mortgage company

-Insurance companies (auto, home, life)

-Doctors' offices

-Voter registration office

-Investment account providers

-Your attorney (to update legal documents, including your will)

-Passport office

-Airlines (to transfer over your miles)

6. Feeling overwhelmed? Ignore two to five and purchase a Hitchswitch Name Change package.

Just go to Hitchswitch Name Change, choose the package that fits your budget, and with a few simple steps, all of the paperwork you need is sent to you with all the information already filled out. This service cuts down on all the time it takes to track down all forms you need and fills them out for you. If you still prefer to save some cash and go old school, at least let us help you get started with the social security name change form you will need to get the ball rolling. Just print out the form below and mail it to your local Social Security Administration office.

Congrats newlyweds!! We are so happy for you!

10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All