How to Keep Your Bridesmaids Happy!!
Congratulations on your engagement!!
To keep your wedding day a happy one, here are a few tips and tricks to ensure your bridesmaids feel special.
1. Ask your bridesmaids in a personal way to be in your wedding party. Regardless of how simple the proposal, this is sure to make them feel special. You don't have to spend a lot of money, but a sweet gesture that required thought truly shows them how much it means to you for them to stand by your side on the biggest day of your life. Trust us, they will gush about how much they loved the way you popped the question!
2. Always connect bridesmaids who haven't yet met. In this day and age of social media, you really have no excuses. Help them get know each other before the wedding festivities begin. This is beneficial not only in creating new friendships, but it will really be helpful to you as a bride. If they know each other beforehand, they will be an incredible team leading up to your big day. A strong connection between your gals will make your day that much more special!
3. Periodically gush over wedding details with your lovely ladies during the planning process. They will love hearing about your vision for your big day and all the selections you make along the way. After all...this is what your bridesmaids are for! If they don't know much about the wedding they might feel left out or in the dark.
4. Planning an out-of-town or destination wedding? A wonderful gesture of love it to help your bridesmaids to get there. Traveling costs are daunting and can really add up. Help relieve the stress for your maids by helping out with some aspect of the travel cost. For example, you can provide a room for them to stay in or gift each bridesmaid a Visa gift card to help out with their flight.
5. Let your ladies mix and match dresses. None of your bridesmaids are the same and neither is their budget or body shape. Give each of them a swatch of the color (or a range of colors) that you desire and provide them with the freedom to choose the style and price range. This is a win, win as your bridesmaids will be comfortable in their dresses and will likely have invested in a dress they will wear again for other occasions.
6. Spend a day in the shoes you are selecting for your bridesmaids to wear. Literally "walk a mile in their shoes." If you don't feel comfortable in them for an extended period of time...do you really want them to have to smile and grin through the blisters and aches as they celebrate your big day? Trust us, they will love you for choosing comfort over style!
7. Give your bridesmaids (and groomsmen) a detailed schedule of the wedding weekend beforehand. Be sure to include what aspects are mandatory and which are not. They will appreciate you communicating with them so they are able to make proper arrangements for themselves, and their children, etc.
8. Give your bridesmaids something personal or personalized. This is so much more meaningful than gifting them all identical things. It shows what thought has gone into it and this way they really cherish your gift. We always recommend Etsy as a great place to start!
9. Take a few moments during your rehearsal dinner to introduce all your bridesmaids. It is more than likely that not everyone in your family or husband's family are familiar with each of your bridesmaids. This gives you the perfect moment to share how you met with the important people in your life. This also gives you one more opportunity to thank each bridesmaid individually for being there.
10. Set aside some pampering girl time. Whether it's a day at the spa or self manis and pedis, that bonding and prep time is lots of fun! This way you will all feel in sync when it comes to the wedding day. You don't have to spend a fortune on spa time... just break out the polishes, make some home made teeth whitener, and get the tanning lotion going together the night before for girls night.
11. Give your bridesmaids small day-of tasks. They will feel appreciated and needed if they can help you check off your to-do list rather than just showing up and looking pretty. If they are able to contribute to your big day they will feel even more included and important to you!
12. Feed yourself and your lovely ladies throughout the day of the wedding! It seems like a no brainer, but having snacks and drinks throughout the day is an absolute must! Your bridesmaids are spending the entire day with you, so the least you can do is nourish them starting with coffee and breakfast all the way to your wedding dinner.
13. Always take fun pictures with your girls! It is obvious that you will have prepped and focused on portraits that you plan to do with your groom; but if you put yourself in your bridesmaids shoes you will see that their favorite images from the day will be the goofy, silly poses you take together! Make a plan and do some exciting shots with them too!!
14. A large dais or head table is nice for photos, but honestly, let your bridesmaids sit with their families or significant other at the reception. Head tables can be a bit little awkward and you'll be so focused on your brand spankin' new hubby that it's only fair to let them sit with the people they really want to be with. Rather than a head table, consider a sweetheart table just for you and your love. Bridesmaids with husbands and kids have been away from them all day. Trust us, you'll be next to your honey happy as can be!
15. Always thank each of your bridesmaids individually. We cannot stress this enough. Even if it is just a hug before your wedding reception exit or a kind word, it is likely that you'll be jetting off on a honeymoon and be unplugged on vacation with your now husband for a while. You may not think of it when you return, so make sure you show some love to each of them before the night is over.